French Press Technique
- Grind coffee very coarse just before water boils (finer than kitty litter, more coarse than sand. approx. 1.5mm cubes). About 1/2 cup beans per serving is my preference but I like strong coffee. Final cup should be no more than 8 oz. liquid. Grinder should be a fixed burr model like the Baratza Virtuoso.
- Place in press
- Bring water just to a boil and pour over leaving room for foaming.
- Put water back on the heat
- Stir down foam vigorously
- Pour just boiling water up to the desired level
Steep four minutes and press
If coffee tastes bitter the grind is too fine, weak means that the grind is too coarse